No. 286 - Lookout Mountain Cedar

6" x 8" - Oil on Canvas Panel

This painting was done last weekend while we were camping at Cloudland Canyon state park. There are miles of trails in the park and countless places to paint. I was making mental notes the whole time about places to visit again.

So, with this one... I packed all my gear, hiked until I found just the right spot, set the easel up, put all my colors out, reached for the white paint, and... I had forgotten it. Blerg. I was incredibly frustrated and debated packing it back up but I thought it would be a good learning experience.

This made me think back to a demo by Clive Aspevig I attended in the spring. He had forgotten his Viridian and someone in the audience offered to go get some out of their car. He said something to the effect of "no, it happened and that's a real part of painting. You have to learn to work with the circumstances you have." So I plowed though.

The process was a little crazy but it was fun to try and use what I've learned to try and make it work. The painting was still a train wreck, so I finished it after we got home.

Comments

Popular Posts