No. 231 - St. Andrews Beach

6" x 8" - Oil on Panel

This past April I attended my first ever painting workshop. The workshop was taught by Laurel Daniel and Mary Anderson of the Anderson Gallery in St. Simons put it all together. The title/concept of the workshop was "From Marsh to Seaside - En Plein Air" so we travelled all over St. Simons / Jekyll / Sea Island and painted outside for three days.

The whole event was an unbelievably fun and involved an intense amount of learning. I'd never had a class on oil painting so this was the first time I've had someone work with me. It was also the first time I've ever painted outside with a group. So lots of firsts!

This painting was the first one out of the workshop. The ocean was on my left but for some reason this was the view that caught my eye. I was set-up on in an open spot of sand among waist high sea grasses. It was incredibly bright that day and being somewhat new to Plein Air painting, I did not bring (or own) an umbrella. Laurel was kind enough to let me borrow hers so I could last a little longer in the Georgia sun. 

Comments

Popular Posts