Painting No. 5 - Man Makes a Picture


8" x 10"
Oil on Canvas

Any self respecting U2 fan would instantly know we could only be talking about one thing. Lemons. It was nice to part from the pears but who knew that lemons could be so hard to paint.

For starters, they're not yellow. Well, not like you would think. They are almost green in places and very reflective leading to weird shadows and reflected light. The first ones I tried ended up looking like golden eggs. But I pulled it together and ended up with the painting above.

This one was interesting. I started with a strong orange undercoat. You can still see pieces of that poking through around the edges of the lemons. Then I put a green background in which did not work but instead of gessoing over it I left it and put the blue one right on top of it. Leslie had the idea to not go edge-to-edge with it and let some of the green stay on there which I really love.

So, there you go. Number five is in the can and we will be dealing with lemons for a week or two. If you want to buy this guy here is the link.

Comments

Popular Posts